Finally a finished object! It's about time, don't you think? I gave you a sneak peek of this dress, but I finally got time to dress up and take photos. The dress is made from 100 % cotton of quilting quality from Stoff og Stil, which means it is quite thin. I lined the skirt with acetate lining and I love the sound of it! I prick stitched the zipper in the back, using the Sewaholic's tutorial. I don't think I'll ever go back to inserting zippers with machine stitching.
I had initially decided not to make the dress, but one week before the wedding, I just realised if I didn't sew the dress, it wouldn't be done that summer, and the fabric would just go into the stash. So the dress was indeed a project under deadline pressure. My mum helped me with hemming the skirt in the morning of the day my kid sister got married. Thanks, mum!
I aligned the first pleat with the front dart, and the pleats go all the way around to the centre back. It is very hip-flattering, exaggerating the curve. It really feels ultra-feminine. It works well together with a cardigan and Converse, which is great if I want to dress down but still wearing flowers and polka dots at the same time.
I'm in love with the fabric, and have bought it both in black, pink and red, planning a shirt with the pink one, and maybe another dress with the red fabric. The black is a little greyish, so I'm not sure what to do with that yet.